Friday, 26 February 2016

Angel, actress, adolescence, art and books

Fashions come and go in photography, just as in other parts of life. This picture is from a shoot that our daughter did last week for a magazine feature. She didn't tell me the photographer's name but  I guess it is safe bet that he is well under 30. Sorry, I don't know the significance of an angel in chains either.
When Sally was very young she could be an angel but, in common with all other females on the planet, she could also be a devil when the mood took her. Woe betide anyone who messes with a redhead! Anyway, this is certainly a different pic to open this last blog of February.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
In my years of getting paid to take photographs, my portraiture style was heavily influenced by the stills departments of the major Hollywood studios. As an example, here are two favourite film stars from my adolescence. I was in love with Veronica Lake's hair and eyelashes, whilst  Lauren Bacall had a voice like dark maple syrup and both ladies had figures to make any 12 year old boy feel inappropriate feelings.

Back in the day it would have taken me the best part of half a day to produce a print like this in my darkroom. I was able to recreate these two images from 'The Kobal Collection' in around ten minutes thanks to some very basic modern technology.
Veronica is on the left and her hairstyle was so distinctive that it was enough for a bit of minimalistic artwork for the poster of her 1942 comedy caper by Paramount Studios, Sullivans's Travels.
 
Margate's weather has been better than much of the UK during February but, even so, it seems tempting to get into a spot of reading rather than beach walking. Sophia's book was a new arrival at our local Waterstone's [the only book shop in town for new books] and was an impulse buy as we had met her aunts in Sorrento. I spotted The Idea in You in the same store but didn't have £13.99 to spare ... so I bought it on line elsewhere for £5.99!
 
On Sunday we made it along to Cliftonville's Eastern Esplanade and the cute second hand bookshop, TIVERTON BOOKS which is in the basement of Smiths Court Hotel and where proprietors Carol and Dave dispense great value and free coffee if you time it right. Tiverton Books are open on Sundays and Tuesdays from 1000 to 1400 and well worth a visit. We came away with another six books, including this holiday humour by Brian Viner.
 
Waterstone's has an in-store Caffe Nero and I would love to be able to sketch it for you. Alas I cannot. So please enjoy this Denver Coffee Shop interior by Paul Heaston. Lots more like this on his various websites. Just Google his name. Bookish cushions above are from The Range at £7.99 fully stuffed.
 
And I leave you with an utter lack of modesty at the seamless way I have created the segues between these topics.
 
To close, here's Veronica again ...