Sunday, 31 July 2016

Foto-No-Mo

My earlier blogs were criticized for banging on about cameras.

This one won't.

The end of the month seems like an appropriate time to make a change that I have been putting off too long. Here's why.

1947: 
My Dad lends me his 1934 Box  Brownie Camera: I am 9 years old. On a cycle trip to Lewes I take a photo of a cottage. It is published in a magazine and I get a byline and a payment. I am hooked and teach myself film processing and printing.

1950-55:
Few children are into photography so a friend and I begin taking pictures at school events and buildings for the school magazine. We also sell prints to other pupils and I acquire my first 35mm camera from the proceeds.

1956-1965:
I quickly discover that there is a market for photos of the various ships on which I serve. Best sellers are postcards of the ship taken from pilot-cutters at various anchorages and ports around the world ... and sold to crew members. I also have shots featured in newspapers in Borneo, Newfoundland and Cuba.

1966 - 70:
Family time and purchase of first house. Strictly family album and baby-book stuff.

1970's:
As a hotel owner I seek to supplement my income by taking portraits during the off-season.

1980's:
Start earning pocket money from advertising and industrial assignments.

1990's:
I resist the digital age. Play with the concept of Lomography and acquire several cameras.

2000's:
35mm photography priced out of market. Acquire a digital camera. Sell all the others.

2010 to present:
No More Photo or FotoNoMo:

When everyone below the age of 60 seems surgically attached to their mobile phone and even two-year old kids are taking selfies ... when a pro writes about taking 'several thousand shots at a wedding' ...this sounds like trusting to luck instead of photography.

Photographic magazines become too expensive to be value for my money and I detest reading 'on line' or 'on a device'

Conclusion:
The world has moved on and left me  behind and I really couldn't give a flying fig about photography any more. [The works of Lisa Visser and David duChemin are exceptions!]

The photos on this post are from The Daily Mail 24 May 2014:
Paul Burgoyne is shipwrecked off the Vancouver coast in 2012
He loses his camera
It is found by students diving the area
The memory card is intact
They print the pictures and post them in the area
They are recognised and the camera is  returned to Paul