Tuesday, 2 August 2016

How NOT to run a business

There is a company in San Diego California.
They have a website that must have cost megabucks
It features a product that I was ready, willing and able to buy

So how the hell did they manage to get it so wrong?

I ploughed through their badly designed order form. It was not until the end that they say 'we don't deliver outside USA & Canada'. What a shame as I live in England.

They do have a newsletter to sign up for ... but the link doesn't work.

They also have a feedback form because 'your opinion matters to us'. That link doesn't work either.

The CD I was going to order is priced at $11. But that excludes shipping which adds another whopping $7 for USA domestic shipping. So even if you live out there, you'd be looking at $18. Live in California? THEN THAT'S ANOTHER $4 FOR STATE TAX.

The website says we are sometimes too busy to answer the phone. Well they got that right. After six attempts I gave up.

I sent an email asking if they have a European distributor. That was back in March, no reply so  far.

So I figured I would order from US Amazon. Oops! 'We are unable to ship this product outside continental USA'.

I spent $10 to register with an outfit called 'MyUS' who order for you and then ship over to Britain' ...but the original site doesn't recognise that address in Florida either.

Then anothr 99c to communicate with an advertiser on eBay who offers a similar service? Guess what? Zilch. Nada. Zero. Diddlysquat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am waiting a reply from a USA supplier who advertises 'good used copy' on US Amazon to see if they'll mail me a copy direct. Watch this space but don't hold your breath.

Next I'll email a local  San Diego magazine to see if they'll send someone around to the store to buy the CD and  send it to me. I'll let you know.

Then I'll try a San Diego radio station and Chanber of Commerce with a similar request. Along with a copy of this blog post.

Ye Gods! Ya could NOT make this up. And guess who this shonky outfit will blame when they go tits up, as they surely will? Yep! Anyone but themselves.

Suggestions for the next positive step? Aw, what the hell. They won't respond.

If you know a Virgin Atlantic cabin crew member....?