Wednesday, 17 August 2016

New York - Old Memories

pic courtesy www.creativeboom.com
The power of a brief moment in time.

This photo from 1950's New York instantly took me back to my first visit there around the same time.

I don't know much about fashion but I do know what I like and I recall that many of my girlfriends back then were into these two styles.

The slim tight skirts were known on board as the enemy because they revealed little and granted access  even less as many were worn over underwear like armor.

However, the full circle skirt was this sailor's favourite as the tight bodice granted a delightful and tempting view of the upper works whilst the slightest breeze would offer a glimpse of stocking ... oh how shocking! ...and the stiletto heels enforced an upright posture.

These ladies lining up for their 1950's selfies would certainly have turned my eye. I was well into photography back then so commend the unknown photographer for his vision and foresight to capture this moment in time. Ditto the artist of this portrait of a Mercury station wagon below.