Monday, 20 March 2017

music


Tony Bennett is coming to UK during last week of June and the first week of July ... to perform a series of concerts just a month or so before his 91st birthday.

For sheer professionalism and quietly impressive showmanship I rate Tony way ahead of any other performer that I have seen live on stage. [And I've been lucky enough to see many over the years]

As I type this post I am playing my current favourite CD Perfectly Frank Here Tony pays homage to the songs, lyricists and composers that featured in Frank Sinatra's repertoire.

Great stuff for quiet relaxation, a mood accentuated by long time association with accompanist Ralph Sharon and his trio. I was delighted to meet the man at Leeds Castle for US Independence Day concert back in 2000.

This album is a marked contrast to Tony's more raucous and upbeat albums with the Count Basie Orchestra. You can listen to it on You Tube or buy the CD on Ebay [My copy was under a fiver including postage]

What always comes through is his sheer performance professionalism from, sadly, probably the last of the great crooners and exponents of 'The Great American Song Book'.