Tuesday, 7 March 2017

What The ****** Twit?

As part of my self education into the world of social networking I have just ordered this book. I hope it will tell me what is the point of Twitter and Facebook...if there is one. My hopes are not high.

Whilst waiting for my used copy to arrive [£4.12 invested]

by post, I did some preparatory investigation on a twitter site called Love Margate.

This seems to be an online equivalent of the small ads that used to appear in newspapers and shop windows, but without any indication of who the advertiser is, where they hang out or their phone number. Seems pointless to me. I guess the clues might be in the apparently random collection of abbreviated shorthand codes and words that are usually shown in blue?


I clicked a few and they took me to other pointless places like 'Pinterest' and 'Instagram' which are equally uninformative concerning who, where, how and why. [There is even one outfit who seem to tweet 'Whooo Hooo its Wednesday' so I assume they are running a rescue centre for owls which are fed on pizza]


There were some pictures on Love Margate. So to restore my normal, calm, charming, relaxed composure I clicked obsessively until they took me to more information.

This beautiful sunset shot of our Harbour Arm is by Frank Leppard on March  3rd. A week or two earlier Sheradon Dublin was photographing the same scene in an atmospheric mist.

Meanwhile our local authority posted a couple of pictures about the revival of Dreamland Cinema. I hadn't seen the drone shot before and the 'envisioned impression' of the finished job is apparently the work of someone called 'mycolorfulpast'.



Copyright obviously exists in all these pictures but as they were on Twitter I guess they can be used for non-commercial purposes like this?

If not, then tell me and I will immediately take this post away.

Next Time: The true story about what happened when my Stateside editor asked for a recent professional headshot. You couldn't make it up and I didn't.


Ye Gods! Whatever happened to professionalism in the service industries?