Friday, 16 June 2017

Photo Journaling Week 5



Welcome back!

If you are new here, you should find the earlier articles on each of the last four Fridays.

Time to reveal my modus-operandii for my current 365 day photo journaling project.

Once I had decided on my format ... 3.5" x 5.5" ruled Moleskine Cahier Notebook ... I took a blank page, then, after trying several sizes, decided that my photos would be around 65 cm x 72cm and that the lower half of the page would be for words which might, or might not, be relevant to the subject of the photograph.

One of the reasons that many well intentioned photo journals miss making it beyond the first few days is that it is a task too far to make every photo match the words, or vice-versa.

Another reason is that the word quota is just too high. My dummy planning page was written in my normal every day writing and gave a rough count of 40 words per day or per page.Easily achievable!

If your eyesight is keen enough, you may decipher my scribbles in the picture panel above to see that I worked out a kind of target of around 14,600 words in a year, equivalent to around 58 pages of an A5 book. How many would I have written without this project? How much fun would I have missed?

Whilst typing this I had a notion to do a similar test using a larger page size for a totally different project, so if you'll excuse me [and even if you don't] I'll leave you here, for now.

Next Friday, a spot of trial and error.